Happy Friday, everyone! Congratulations, you made it through another week of quarantine and social distancing. Give yourself a pat on the back because it is not easy work. This week, I wanted to do something a little bit different. My best friend gave me the idea to talk about some of my favorite books! Here’s my list:
1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle: This is my all-time favorite book. The story may be a bit juvenile, but the morals and themes behind it are meant for every age to enjoy. If you enjoy science-fiction and/or fantasy, this is the book for you! I also love the characters because they are so personable and uniquely created. This is definitely an entertaining read! It will forever have my heart.
2. The Reason: How I Discovered A Life Worth Living by Lacey Sturm: If you enjoy biographies/ Christian testimonies, then this is the book for you! Lacey Sturm was the former singer of the Christian rock band Flyleaf, and she is now singing in her own band alongside her husband. When I first read her story, I was going through a pretty difficult time in life. Her words impacted me greatly and continue to today. This story of death to life and hopelessness to hope is definitely worth reading!
3. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green: This YA book is beautifully written, and it was recommended to me by my best friend (the one with awesome taste in literature.) The story features Aza, a teenage girl, with severe anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. However, her illness is not her identity because Green portrays her life with the disorder rather than making that her defining quality. The plot actually deals with mystery, romance, and mental health. It is not just a simple “coming of age” book. This story hits really close to home for me because I deal with a lot of OCD tendencies (we can talk more about that in another blog.) Overall, this was one of the best books I’ve read in a while. I believe that teens and adults can find enjoyment in it. My words don’t do it justice, so you’ll have to read it for yourself!
4. Save Me From Myself by Brian “Head” Welch: As I mentioned in a previous blog post, I am a big metal music fan. One band that I enjoy in particular is Korn. I became interested in the lives and stories of the members as I continued to listen to their songs. They were your typical metal band: lots of parties, drugs, girls, booze, and other rockstar things. However, the lead guitarist, Brian Welch ended up becoming a Christian. He left behind the excessive ways that were beginning to kill him, and pursued Jesus. Later on, he wrote his book, Save Me From Myself, which tells of all the obstacles he overcame to become a better man. Personally, he is a huge role model for me because of his authenticity and heart for God. He left his band for some time, but ended up joining again to spread light to a dark place, and I think that’s so admirable. If you’re looking for a crazy Christian testimony story, this one is it!
5. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer: This is actually a series of books because I couldn’t choose just one! These books are splendidly entertaining because they twist fairytales with action, romance, and adventure. I seriously could not put these down! If you enjoy fantasy or science fiction, these are an absolute must read.